Friday, April 9, 2010

Thinking about work

My name is Khin Phu, and I’m a student a LaGuardia Community College. I come from Yangon, a city in Burma in South-East Asia.After I married to my husband, I came to the United States in May 1998. Then another story started when my new life began. After the age of forty, I started my first step towards a career in this college by majoring in Liberal Arts. Actually, my major is nursing, but my ACT score was not good enough to take nursing classes. English is my second language. As you know, I face a lot of troubles with the language. I’m not familiar with the use of computers either.

I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in my country from a medical college eighteen years ago. Now I work part time at a Chinese Clinic in Chinatown. It is related to my medical field and I hope to get lot of experience and opportunities. I take my responsibilities very seriously. I am proud of myself for doing this job. I never thought about living in American, even in my dreams. In the United States, most students work their way through college.Sometimes, I am depressed because it takes several years to acquire a good command of English. After

two years, I am enjoying my life at LaGuardia Community College. I like studying English, learning about computers.

All my classmates come from different countries and careers. We have difference reasons to come to college, but

we walk the same way for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Khin -

    Glad to have you aboard and writing! Learning a language, especially as an adult, is very difficult, so you should be proud of all the progress you've made. I look forward to hearing more from you. Keep meeting with Nilo and you can also come see me to work on your essays. I'd also love to hear from you in class.

    ReplyDelete